Monday, December 22, 2014

#AutismSpeaks, I am not a Medical Disaster

Last night I watched the Documentary, Sounding the Alarm, Battling the Autism Epidemic. I as a spectrum person walked away with this one thought, If you are my advocate I am in big trouble. Using statements like Autism is a medical disaster or describing us as troubled, difficult or even ensuing family troubles conveys the statement to people like myself that you do not favor our kind. A lot of us, spectrum people, go on to do many good things such as acting, writing, or activism. The spectrum is so wide ranging that there are even a few of us you do not know about whom have gone onto become Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers. The bottom line is that we are human being and deserve to be referred to as such.

I completely understand the struggle that you as Neurologically Typical people have in understanding us as people in what we think and how we feel. I also understand how difficult it must be for you as Neurologically Typical people to deal with one of our meltdowns or inability to communicate, perhaps adding one of us who are higher functioning to your staff would serve to enlighten your understanding and encourage you to refrain from using such derogatory language to describe what many of us as adults find as an asset to who we are and become. When you speak about us in such a negative fashion you only further the struggle we have with mainstream media and the very intolerable way they describe us as suffering beings.

I am not suffering, nor am I medical disaster or troubled person and many spectrum individuals I know are not either. We will never do things the way you do them nor will we ever be just like you but we are human beings who deserve to be treated with respect and dignity in both speech and actions. We stand in agreement with you that Congress does need to take up our case and Insurance companies do need to serve our families better. However,  if you are going to continue advocating for us and suggesting a governmental office for an Autism Zar, perhaps really taking the time to speak to higher functioning spectrum people and understanding our position in the world from the very different perspective we hold, would serve all far more greater than to assume all things about us from Neurologically Typical standpoint. After all this is about advocating for spectrum people not just the Neurologically Typical family members. .

1 comment:

  1. I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog. dermatologist Scottsdale

    ReplyDelete